Friday, October 12, 2007

Torturous Day at Work

So Wednesday and Thursday were crazy for work! I flew from Detroit, MI to Muskegon, MI(picked up freight) to Shreveport, LA(to clear customs) then to Saltillo, Mexico. Flying into Saltillo is awesome. Lots of mountains and the approach is a 12 mile arc with step down every few miles... so fun!! Anyway, unloaded our 100 lbs of freight. yep I flew all night from MI to Mexico for 100 lbs of freight!! Brake pads... guess they were really important!! So we got to bed around 330am in Laredo, TX. Good old Mariott... my home away from Detroit! Right at the time we got legal, we got another trip.

We were supposed to go from Laredo, TX to El Paso, TX to San Diego, CA to Amarillo, TX to Telladega, AL to Shreveport. So, still tired from the night before and having only got about 5 hours sleep(had to get up for free breakfast!!) we head for the airport. We fly to El Paso then onto San Diego. Well, we get to San Diego about 330p local time. Freight is late... SHOCKING!! So I play on Ravelry for awhile, talk on the phone, waste more time. Pretty soon it's 7 pm and they freight is at least 2 hours away yet!! ARGH!!! So now I need to sleep, cuz this is shaping up to be a 14 hour day!! Not cool! So my Captain and I crash in the tv room and try to sleep. Not working real well... kinda sucks. Company keeps calling us and asking us questions. Will we be able to get there? Are we tired? OF COURSE WE"RE TIRED!!! DUH!?!? dumb questions.

So at 950pm local time, the truck gets there... well that's great. Lets get this party over with and get to bed... not so much. We can't take off after 10pm in San Diego because of noise restrictions.... so we sat at the airport... all night... for nothing. Thank god in a lot of ways though... Got to go to bed. I did get some great pictures though...
Approach to San Diego over the cityAmerican Airlines on Approach with San Diego Skyline in the back
Southwest Airlines on AppoachJust the sky line of San DiegoThe nighttime skyline in San Diego

I hope everyone is having a good day... This afternoon they flew us from San Diego to El Paso, TX. Well here we sit in El Paso, waiting for some flying... argh... so here I post to try and burn some time! This isn't my plane today, but it's from one of the other times I flew into El Paso. 90 degree's and sunny!! :) Gotta love it!

3 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

Hey Katie,

I have been meaning to get here for a couple days now. You know I am jealous about your extended San Diego stay, since I am San Diego native, lol. I sure wish I was with you for that trip.

I am not far from my Ravelry invite so hopefully you can help me with that when I get the invite. Shelly usually helps me but she is a few thousand behind me still, yikes.

I love the pictures of the San Diego skyline, you really have an awesome job.

Oh and your exchange gifts look great too, I've never seen a bookmark sling before.

AK

Unknown said...

I really like your pictures. Your profile picture is best. Are you a vikings fan?

Mary Ann said...

Hi Katie, Wow, how cool that you're a pilot! How long have you been doing it?

Thank you for your comment about my missing neighbor. There were quite a few people there last night even though it was raining like crazy. I had never met her family, until last night. I only knew her husband. I thought that he had something of hers that they could use, but they had separated so there was nothing there. We will continue to pray that something or someone turns up who knows something.